Thursday, January 03, 2008

SW - Episode III

Ah...a long awaited custom figure that I have been dying to make. There was a scene in "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" when Emperor Palpatine (aka. Darth Sidious) gave the green light for "Order 66". The scene I was referring to was: Yoda and Obi-Wan fighting off multiple "501st Clone Troopers". Yoda runs into the screen, disarming 1 trooper, then throwing his lightsaber into the chest of another. Yoda jumps onto the trooper's chest and yanks out what is rightfully his. Just...."Bad-Ass!".

Here's one of several reference shots I studied.

At the time there were no 501st Clone Troopers on the store shelves. Hasbro announced plans to reissue them with the current packaging design. I couldn't wait, so I bought a clean white clone trooper from Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones.

So here's where patience was required,
using masking tape to create a template
for the much needed dark royal blue paint.

The paint dried quite nicely overnight, and I started the scraping process to give the necessary battle damaged look.

Several days and um-teen hours later...

My digital camera was bugging out
but I really liked the grainy feel.

Now for the final touch....the
light saber through the chest.
And don't forget the gun dropping to the floor.

I could not find a yoda with the right outfit and pose, so I decided to sew him a a brand-spank'in new robe. I did not get the measurements right on the first try, so this is the result of the second attempt.
I wanted to take this custom figure to the next level and find a micro sized LED light to insert into his chest. That way, the lightsaber would be illuminated. After researching and checking out several hardware stores (Osh, Home Depot/Yardbirds, Radio Shack), No luck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Reezo Rocks said...

Dude, you customs look really cool, great work. Maybe one day I can convince you to do a Lamancha figure;)
K

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

You've got some great stuff on yours too!

Really dig the time, effort and skill that obviously goes into making these custom figures and sculpts.

10:04 AM  
Blogger EL Gato Negro said...

hahaha awsome !!!!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home